Dear Digital Grandad: Should my agency have a blog?
Dear @DigitalGrandad, One of the kids in the office asked me why our agency don’t have a blog. I need an answer that doesn’t make me seem old or lazy.
Dear Old and Lazy
As the saying goes, It’s never too late to teach an old dog new tricks, as I am sure you are not Lazy!
I think it is great that you have people in your company that are asking questions about how to further market your company and/or share what you are doing as a cutting edge agency with your intended target market. So without sounding lazy or old, you can share your wisdom, teach and mentor the young enthusiastic kid that ‘LIKE’ anything in Marketing, you can’t just say yes without having a strategic plan. Your answers ‘Old Dog’ should be around planning, for example:
“Great Little One! I am so glad you asked that question. It is something I have been meaning to look into for ages. However, we don’t have a plan yet. So lets start this journey together, by doing some research and at least answer the following questions:
1. Why should we want to do a BLOG? It can’t because other people are doing it.
2. What will be the core objective behind the blog e.g. expert opinion, sharing case studies or?
3. What will the KPI be to deem the blog successful.
4. Who within the organization will be committed to doing the blog on a regular basis. I don’t want a half attempted blog, with no content or ownership.
5. What will be the content plan be for the next 3 months?
6. Who will contribute to the blog?
7. What will our governance policy be?
8. How will it integrate with our other Marketing efforts for example our website, social media sites etc.
9. How much will it cost to set up? Can it be integrated into our digital assets?
10. How will we market the blog?
Once we have answered these questions, then I am happy to endorse and support as a strategic initiated with a true plan.”
DigitalGrandad is a Marketing Professional with over 140 dog years of practical digital experience working with both global and local brands. From SME’s through to Multinational’s and across industry sectors he has seen and embraced the changes technology has given to us to better our lives. Yes he remembers the old days, but is now a firm traDigitalist born through traditional marketing.
If you have a digital dilemma and are too afraid to ask your boss or your agency, but feel you need to ask for some straight no-nonsense advice, please email me at DigitalGrandad@digitalgrandad.com with your question, or better still tweet to @digitalgrandad1. I’ll answer one every week on MarkLives.com.
– Industry news you’ll make time for. Sign up for our free newsletter!