Internet Access in South Africa to hit 20% penetration by 2013
by Arthur Goldstuck (@art2gee) The following is a tweetnote presentation – 10 tweets on the same topic – on the Internet Access in SA 2012 study for the 2012 Netprophet conference recently held in Cape Town.
1. #Net2012 unveils headline findings of Internet Access in SA 2012 study. World Wide Worx report due June.
2. #Net2012 uses multiple methodologies: primary research, interviews with providers, market intelligence.
3. #Net2012 first headline finding: there were 8.5-million Internet users in South Africa at the end of 2011.
4. #Net2012 found 2011 growth in SA user base was 25%, following 28% in 2010. Internet has awoken in SA.
5. #Net2012: 6,02-million access on computer, laptop, tablet. 90% of these also on cell. 2.48m only on cell.
6. #Net2012: Total of 7,9 million South Africans access the Internet on their cell phones.
7. #Net2012: Number of 3G users in South Africa: 5,5m. Smartphone base end of 2011: 8.5m. Forecast 2012: 11m.
8. #Net2012: Undersea cable capacity to SA at end of 2011: 2,69Tbps. End 2012: 11,9Tbps. End 2013: 24,6Tbps.
9. #Net2012 ADSL lines in use in South Africa: 820 000. 2011 growth: 13% . Limited by Telkom as sole supplier.
10. #Net 2012: Internet growth in 2012: expect 20%, taking user base past 10m mark and 20% penetration.