SA short film It’s Complicated keeps on winning
It’s Complicated, a South African short film directed by Grant de Sousa and produced by Birdfilm in association with Picturescope, has won three Gold awards at the Kinsale Shark Awards in Ireland. This continues a winning streak for a film that bagged the Best Comedy award at the Los Angeles Shorts International Film Festival in August 2017.
The Kinsale Sharks took place 21–23 September, celebrating international excellence in advertising, short film and music videos. The film picked up Gold for the Directing, Acting and Editing categories and was also shortlisted in the writing and cinematography categories.
It’s Complicated is a cross-genre film, billed as a romantic comedy horror. It tells the story of lonely Andy, who invites a girl he met online to his apartment. He then falls head over heels for her, despite his stoner flatmate Nigel’s repeated attempts to point out her seemingly obvious flaw.
The film was independently financed by the producers and shot entirely in Cape Town over a three-day period. It stars Paul Snodgrass, Johann Vermaak, Lise Slabber and Sean Cameron Michael. It will have its South African premiere at the 15th edition of the shnit Worldwide Short Film Festival in Cape Town, 18–29 October 2017.
- Producers: Alan Lawson, Justin Cohen, Tyrone Rubin.
- Cast: Paul Snodgrass, Johann Vermaak, Lise Slabber, Lara Lipschitz, Sean Cameron Michael, Raph Kossew.
- Crew: Alard de Smidt, Monica Rosie, Bronwyn Cruz, Neil Uys, Thando Ntombela, Skip Margetts, Jonathan Searle, Lennox Mbolekwa, Gerhardus Kotze, Charl van Zyl, Jimmy Periera, Grant Forbes, Zingi Nhini, Maarten de Groot, Heindrich du Preez, Damien Britz, Michael Rosie, Denita Goosen, Jade Mitchell
- Post Production: Evi Katz, Charmaine Greyling, Clare Vandeleur, Greg Alberts, Nic Apostoli, Dillon Harlalnd, Kelly Harding, Petra Ross, Tim Beckerling, Matthew James, Matt Deuse, Bevil Schwartz, Angela van der Merwe, Darian Simons
- Production: Pia Caverni, Clifford Delcie, Viktoria von Hof, Nathaniel Gallant
- Music: The Hellcats and Woodstock Mafia
- Suppliers: Shesha Caterers, Moi Content, Panavision, Panalux, Helimedia, Ludus Upstairs, Left Post Production and Rhapsody Recording