New format for ADC Young Guns
NEW YORK: NPO Art Directors Club has made changes to its international ADC Young Guns programme, which honours the body of work from creatives 30 years of age and under. Departing from the traditional awards-show model, the programme — now in its 14th iteration — has become a curated invitation competition, where nominees will be handpicked by a cultural-influencer committee made up of 40 leading thinkers, makers and visionaries from 11 countries representing a range of creative fields.
ADC YG 2016 winners will be announced and celebrated in September 2016, and a selection of their work shown in the ADC Young Guns 2016 global traveling exhibition.
“Our goal with the new ADC Young Guns is to curate talent and build a[n] invigorating club for the creative community”, says Philippe Meunier, ADC Board president and creative chief/co-founder, Sid Lee. “Rather than an award program, ADC YG is now a creative incubator and ongoing platform built to cultivate the winners’ talents and help them make big, beautiful things in their careers.”
The influencer committee is intended to be very diverse in terms of gender and ethnicity:
- Rebecca Allen, UCLA Media Arts (US)
- Héctor Ayuso, OFFF (Spain)
- Sam Baron, Fabrica (Italy)
- Alex Bec, It’s Nice That (UK)
- Gail Bichler, The New York Times Magazine (US)
- Tim Brown, IDEO (US)
- Alex Czetwertynski, creative/tech director (US)
- Liza Defossez Ramalho, R2 (Portugal)
- Pinar Demirdağ & Viola Renate, Pinar & Viola (France/Turkey)
- Arem Duplessis, Apple (US)
- Justin Gignac, Working Not Working (US)
- Kim Hastreiter, PAPER Magazine (US)
- Jessica Helfand, Design Observer (US)
- Erik Kessels, Kesselskramer (Netherlands)
- Gary Koepke, SapientNitro (US)
- Nick Law, R/GA (US)
- Jonathan Levine, Master & Dynamic (US)
- Tracy Ma, Bloomberg Businessweek (US)
- John Maeda, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers (US)
- Debbie Millman, Sterling Brands (US)
- Timothy Nordwind, OK Go (US)
- Eddie Opara, Pentagram (US)
- David OReilly, artist (US)
- PES (Adam Pesapane), PES Films (US)
- Louisa Pillot, Bromance Records (France)
- Matt Pyke, Universal Everything (UK)
- Craig Redman, Craig & Karl (UK/US)
- Joachim Sauter, ART+COM (Germany)
- Paula Scher, Pentagram (US)
- Bibi Seck, Birsel + Seck (Senegal)
- Kamal SInclair, Sundance (US)
- Louisa St. Pierre, Bernstein & Andriulli (US)
- Richard Turley, MTV (US)
- Elizabeth Valleau, Grey Group (US)
- Alissa Walker, Gizmodo (US)
- Jessica Walsh, Sagmeister & Walsh (US)
- Kelly Woh, AKQA (China)
- Robert Wong, Google Creative Lab (US)
- Martin Woodtli (Switzerland)
Nominate five individuals each
Each member will nominate five individuals from around the world whom they feel are the most-talented and forward-shaping creatives 30 years old and under in any creative field, including design, motion, photography, advertising, new media and product design. The 200 nominees will be notified and asked to submit their portfolios free of charge.
In addition to the influencer committee nominations, ADC members are eligible to submit their portfolios online free of charge to be considered for a select group of additional nominations chosen by ADC staff.
A final judging panel of 12 is split between past ADC Young Guns and ADC Board members, including a few who are both. The panel consists of past ADC YGs Rei Inamoto, Inamoto & Co. (formerly of AKQA); Natasha Jen, Pentagram; Tracy Ma, Bloomberg Businessweek and Stefan Sagmeister, Sagmeister & Walsh, as well as ADC Board members Keira Alexander, Work-Order, Day for Night Festival (also a past YG winner); David Charles, David Charles Creative and Sundance fellow; Kim Hastreiter, PAPER Magazine; Nicole Jacek, NJ (LA) (past YG); Masashi Kawamura, PARTY (past YG); Dany Lennon, Creative Register; Noreen Morioka, M+ and Philippe Meunier, Sid Lee.
“Back to ADC’s roots”
“Starting this year, ADC Young Guns now goes beyond an award and back to ADC’s roots of being a real club,” says David Charles, head of David Charles Creative and a Sundance New Frontier and Documentary Lab fellow. “It will now be an inspiring, safe space for the best young talent in the world to further develop their craft and talents with mentorship, special events and fellowships that help them become the people steering the ship towards a more creative and kinder future for our industry.”
The reinvented ADC Young Guns Club has five components:
- ADC YG Dinners: ADC will host curated ADC YG Dinners at interesting spot around the world, including at a number of NeueHouse The exclusive guests will include a mix of ADC Young Guns, ADC YG Nominators, ADC YG Judges, cultural influencers and members of NeueHouse. The inaugural dinner will take place on 15 June 2016 in NYC, curated by Kim Hastreiter, co- founder and editor, PAPER Magazine.
- ADC YG Lectures/Screenings: ADC will also hold lectures and screenings at NeueHouses and other locations around the world featuring ADC Young Guns, their work and stories, and will be open exclusively to ADC Young Guns and NeueHouse members.
- ADC YG Parties: A number of parties and creative stimulating experiences will be held around the world at NeueHouses and elsewhere, exclusively for the ADC Young Guns Club members. The inaugural ADC YG Party will happen the Northern Hemisphere summer, featuring performances by WOLVVES NYC and Xia Xia Technique (Timothy Nordwind and Dan Konopka of OK Go DJ set, featuring Psychoflower MC).
- ADC YG Awards Show: ADC will announce and celebrate ADC YG Winners each year at NeueHouse in Hollywood, CA. The show will be open exclusively for the ADC Young Guns Club, ADC Members, ADC YG Judges, ADC YG Nominators and selected cultural influencers. The inaugural ADC YG Awards Show on 22 September 2016 is intended to be an intimate creative experience featuring exclusive music and art.
- ADC YG Exhibitions: More than just a traveling exhibition, this immersive creative experience will showcase the mind-blowing work of each year’s new ADC YG Winners.
- Other elements include an original ADC YG song composed and performed by Xia Xia Technique (Timothy Nordwind and Dan Konopka of OK Go featuring Psychoflower MC) and music video, both in collaboration with NJ(L.A.); partnership with NeueHouse locations worldwide and media partnership with PAPER Magazine; and a new ADC YG Award Cube designed and engineered by Master & Dynamic, in collaboration with NJ(L.A.).
ADC Young Guns and other club activities throughout the year are made possible in part through the support of ADC global partner Shutterstock.
For more information, go to adcglobal.org/awards/adc-young-guns-2016.
— MarkLives’ round-up of top ad and media industry news and opinion in your mailbox every Monday and Thursday days. Sign up here!